VP of Community Outreach: Allison Rabin, email@example.com
Harbor View Vikings strive to give back to our community in many ways! We are excited about HVPFO Community Outreach initiatives, activities, and volunteer opportunities for HV families, 2016-17! We’ll proudly support two organizations this year: Second Harvest Food Bank and Families Forward who strive to fight hunger and homelessness in Orange County. Additionally, we’ll support our local community via HV Family Monthly Restaurant Fundraisers and other outreach activities.
Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County
Through their organization’s volunteer efforts Second Harvest Food Bank distributes over 20 million meals annually to people struggling with hunger in Orange County. 1 in 9 people (1 in 5 children) struggle with hunger in our county every day.
Volunteer shifts for HV families with Second Harvest Food Bank will be:
- 10/1/16: Izzy’s Corner – HV families will sort and bag produce and food inside of Second Harvest’s outstanding facility.
- 1/21/17: Incredible Edible Farm – HV families will plant, harvest, and/or assist with farm maintenance outdoors on the Incredible Edible Farm. (CANCELLED due to rain.)
A non-profit organization committed to local OC families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness, Families Forward’s volunteer efforts help change the lives of local families in need! HV students and families will help to support their efforts through two programs traditional to HV:
- November 2016: Thanksgiving Baskets – HV students are encouraged to help those in need by bringing in canned goods to “Fill” a basket. Details and itemized lists will be posted in each classroom. HV students will work together to donate a complete Thanksgiving meal from each classroom. These baskets will be delivered to Families Forward to help provide 800 families with food needed to celebrate Thanksgiving. Participating students will be recognized by displaying a leaf on our annual HV Giving Tree.
- December 2017: Adopt a Family for The Holidays – HV students and families may select ornament tags from HV’s Angel Tree with families’ wish lists for the Season – and then fulfill those lists! Our donations will help provide gifts for more than 700 struggling families and 1,700 children in OC.
Monthly Restaurant Fundraisers
HV families are encouraged to Dine Out once per month. Participating restaurants will donate 20% of all proceeds back to HV. Enjoy a night off from cooking and have fun with your HV community while giving back, too! You can dine in or take out each month. Please plan to dine here with your (and our HV Family) on these days:
- 9/15/16: Fresh Brothers
- 10/12/16: El Ranchito
- 11/9/16: Ruby’s Diner
- 12/7/16: California Pizza Kitchen (in conjunction with our Barnes & Noble Night Fundraiser)
- 2/8/17: Blaze Pizza
- 5/10/17: Pizza Nova